[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: series gap

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: RRice43147-at-aol-dot-com Sat Dec 21 21:36:12 1996
> Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 10:47:17 -0500
> From: RRice43147-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: series gap
>
> Hi
> I am in the process of building a series gap
> with about 6 gaps in a enclosed form.
> my question is, if the first gap is made adjustable,
> will it set the timeing for the other gaps in the line,
> or does each gap need to be adjustable?
> thanks,Rick

Rick,

This may have already been answered, but I have a bit of experience here.
 The raw answer is yes the single variable gap will 'set the firing point
over a limited range of the entire cluster of gaps.  But...... You will
have a higher dissapation in the one gap at larger opening and the even
distribution of power and quench action of the gap will be infringed upon
using this technique.  Better is to make a 20 series gap with microscopic
gaps and tap in or out to control the spark.  Believe me I've been here
and what you post is OK, but spoils the purity of the reason the series
gap was used in the first place.

Richard Hull, TCBOR