[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: smoking secondary

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: RRice43147-at-aol-dot-com Sat Jan  4 21:39:15 1997
> Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 12:34:54 -0500
> From: RRice43147-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: smoking secondary
>
> Hi all!
> My tc started to quit working (no sparks)
> upon checking it out,the secondary was filled
> with smoke,i assume from internal arcing.
> When i wound the coil,I didnt know about NOT
> drilling holes thru the form(I learned that from this
> list) but i had the holes filled with putty.
> Can anyone think of a fix?I would hate to wind
> a new coil!
> Thanks,Rick

Hi Rick:
	Sorry to hear about your "smoking Secondary"--there might be a way to
give it some additional life, or a second chance.  I'm going to be sort
of guessing, since I don't know what your secondary is made from, but no
matter what, I'd suggest you first determine the extent of the damage.
You should probably be able to see some carbon tracks inside the coil
form itself, where the initial breakdown occurred.  If it were my coil I
would sure do my best to physically remove any traces of an arc path--if
you can't I really wouldn't be too optimistic.  Scrape, cut, grind or
whatever technique looks appropriate based on the secondary form
material in order to remove the burned area.  If you can remove the
damage, I would then get some polyurethane varnish and coat the I.D. and
O.D.  I would highly recommend the Behr "Super Build 50" product.  Go
into your local hardware store (such as "Ace" who do carry all Behr
products) and hunt down this stuff.  You should really plan on mounting
the secondary in a revolving jig of some sort for the best results when
your coating it.  If you can't, just mix a small amount for each coat
and put it on in as thin a coat as possible.  Keep building it up until
your satisfied.  Super Build 50 is about $28.00 for a kit with 2 quarts
of resin and one quart of activator.  That's enough for many
secondaries.  I wish you luck!

Chuck