[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pulsed Tube Coils

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997 22:25:33 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
writes:
>Subscriber: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com Sat Jan  4 21:50:03 1997
>Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 14:55:26 -0500
>From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Pulsed Tube Coils

><<       Hi John,
>
>>snip
>  >>  I was thinking of building a tube coil using a pair of
>  >572-B's (basically heavy duty 811's) with a filtered DC
> > >plate supply of about 2500 volts,  the power supply would
>  >have a output filter capacitance of about 15 UFD and the
>  >>circuit would be the typical link coupled feedback setup.
>  >>  But I was going to use a square or triangle wave signal
>  >to drive a power mosfet (IRF-511) switch in the filament
>  >center tap (cathode return) to gate the tubes conduction
>  >> much the same as what a variable rate/dwell rotary gap
>  >would do in a disruptive coil, or even use a audio
>  >source to modulate a fixed bias reference in the cathode
>  >>return. Any thoughts on this approach?
>
>  >>			Mark Graalman
>   >>

> > Hi Mark,
>
> >Thanks for the suggestion,  I did some preliminary tests of your
>idea today
> at a low power, using a standard (12" spark) AC tube TC, and the
>results
>were
> >excellent!   I used a horizontal output transistor because I didn't
>have a
> power mosfet.  I connected the collector to the tube filament, and
>the
> >emitter to ground (after of course opening the original
>filament-to-ground
> connection).  Then I connected my pulse generator across the
>transistor base
> >and ground.
>
> >I only turned up the main TC power part way because I was concerned
>about
>the
> possibility of kickback destroying the transistor, the (TV-type)
>filament
> transformer, or the pulse generator.   But I did obtain a 5" spark,
>which
> >showed a nice staccato pulsing.
>
> >In general, your technique may greatly simplify the pulse control
>circuitry
> >compared with what I've been using, and eliminate any potentially
>undesirable
> >interactions with the grid-leak network.  It remains to be seen if a
>DC
> pulsed tube coil using this system will still require a tetrode and
>AC (or
> >other up-ramping voltage) on the screen grid for long spark
>production.   I
> definitely recommend pursuing this cathode-type control technique.
>If you
> >try this technique Mark, I'd definitely be interested in your
>results.
>
>>    John Freau
>
>Mark,  All,      (update)

> [...]
    Hi John,

  How do you think it may work out if the screen is
supplied by a 500 -600 volt DC source rather than AC? Or
tying the cathode to ground through a 2 or 3 volt zener
for a slight amount of bias and switching the screen volt
age on and off with the transistor switch? Of course I'm
still talking about using DC on the plate circuit, I guess my ordinal
thoughts on this were to have a "silent"
output discharge then work on different modulation
techniques. It will be some time before I can do much in
the way of any experiments, my shop is loaded up, torn up, with
construction stuff from working on the house etc.
 But the ideas still flow.......................

			Mark Graalman (WB8JKR) TCBA#1399

BTW, what type of waveform are you using to control the
switching transistor?