[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: torque converters (clarification)

> I was thinking of getting a hack saw and cuttig around the periphery so it
> could be gutted and therefore lightened.
>
> Chip

Chip,

           I wouldn't suggest trying to hacksaw a torque converter in
half. They are made with hardened steel and would take forever. Try
going to a local trans shop and ask them if they have any burnt
converters that they have already seperated. They will probely just
give you the shell. Then just weld the halves together and grind down
the high points. You are probley going to need real hot welder
because of the material the shell is made of
 Make sure you use a Chevy!:-) Also, the impeller
inside is made from a high Q hardened steel to withstand great heat
and pressure. A possible canidate for a rotary gap???

Bryan