[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: repair

At 02:25 PM 1/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Sun Jan 26 13:31:37 1997
>Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 10:08:01 -0800
>From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: repair
>
>I have noticed many posts saying shorted neon transformers could be revived
>by removing the tar which has carbon tracks from an arc.
>
>I have 4 bad neons I would like to try and bring back to life.  Before I try
>this I have some questions.
>
>How are the high voltage insulators attached to the secondary coil?  Is there
>any chance of breaking the wire connection to the windings?

They are just hooked on with wires.  I smash and shatter the insulators with
a sledge hammer.  The wire is held fast by the tar.  I then peel the metal
case off of the block of tar.  Freeze the block and chip away. R. Hull

>Someone suggested putting the transformer in the freeze to make the tar
>brittle.  Then take a hammer and beat it to death to get the tar off.  Whats
>the chance of smashing the windings and permanently damangeing it beyond
>repair?  If the case is removed what holds the high voltage insulators in
>place?  Metal clips, but don't bother.  Smash 'em  R. Hull
>
>Someone suggested putting the transformer in a solvent for several weeks to
>disolve the tar.  Kerosene or paint thinner will probably work. What type of
>solvents will work?  What type of solvents will not work?  I know Acetone
>will remove everything except the metal and leave only bare uninsulated wire.
>Will the solvent soak into the primary and secondary windings and cause any
>problems?  Has anyone tried this?  How long did it take?  What solvent did
>you use?

Use no solvent except for kerosene during cleanup afterwards!  R. Hull

>I have been told that tar melts at about 400 degrees F.  The local motor
>rewind shop told me they cure the new motor windings in an oven at about 500
>degrees F for several hours.  Transformers that have to be cured are cured in
>an oven also. It should be possible to heat a transformer in an oven and melt
>off the tar.  Has anyone tried this?

Don't heat the transformer in any oven!!! R. Hull