[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Very COOL AVI

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Sun Jan 19 10:30:42 1997
> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:12:24 -0600
> From: Kevin Nardelle <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Very COOL AVI
>
> I put an AVI of my coil blasting sparks at a movie screen from an arrow tip
> placed at  the base os the sphere up on my web site. I would send it here
> but it is not to small, it is worth it to see what happens to the movie
> screen, the color of the sparks on the screen is also interesting. I think
> it is worth the wait to see it, let me know if anyone has tried this before
> please. I edited the avi for length, I took out the empty shots because I
> pulsed the power to the coil.
>
> NOTE: Notice the RFI in the camera, both the camera and computer are in the
> same room as the coil { Y e O w }, this will give you an idea of the RFI my
> coil produces. Pulsing the power to the coil is the only I can keep the
> computer from locking up, short blasts are ok but long durations seem to
> affect the mouse and video in bad ways.
>
> Another point is this is only at 90VAC on the variac, higher voltages also
> seem to mess up the computer. After I put the new gaps in the RFI is way
> down from where it was before, I could not even think of operating the
> computer with the old gaps. Still I have the capacitors shunt across the
> transformer and gaps in series, I put a safety gap across the HV secondary
> outputs as to not blow them, I hope.
>
> The distance from the arrow tip to the movie screen is 15 inches, the only
> way to get the sphere to break out is with a point somewhere on it. If there
> is nothing placed on the sphere I get sparks out the top winding going to
> the terminal.
>
>                                        Regards,
>                                             Kevin Nardelle
>
>    ********************************************
>    * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
>    ********************************************
> Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
> My main web page IS UP all TESLA
> related with lotsa pictures and links.
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
> http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
> Non related sites I have
> The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev

Kevin,

You're approaching the point where the power level and efficiency of
your coil will cause permanent damage to the computer in your room. The
MOS devices used in your computer are very sensitive, and unforgiving,
to over-voltage. The cables going to your mouse, keyboard, and monitor
are acting as antennas and are picking up the RF radiating from your
coil and piping it into your machine.

The lock-ups you're seeing are a warning. You need to provide more
physical separation between the coil and the computer, or any to other
sensitive electronic equipment. Experienced coilers never keep any solid
state electronic equipment in the same room with an operating Tesla
Coil. Simply turning off the computer will _not_ protect it.

Safe coilin' and, hopefully, continued computin' to ya!

-- Bert --