[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Case ground.

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Sun Jan 12 22:17:48 1997
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 17:05:44 -0600
> From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Case ground.
>
> >Daniel,
> >
> >There are a few reasons to tie the case to at least the RF ground:
> >
> >Since large Electrostatic fields are present betweent the toroid and its
> >surroundings, the primary needs to have a path to ground to prevent
> >electrostatic induction from inducing high ES voltages (to ground) on
> >the entire primary. Grounding the neon case "bleeds" this off.
> >
> >A pair of safety gaps should be used from each neon HV leg to the case
> >ground (and RF ground). This serves two purposes: it reduces overvolting
> >the neon's outputs, AND it provides a low-impedance path the the RF
> >ground in case you take a "hit" from the toroid to the primary. This
> >protects EACH leg, and prevents an RF flashover that otherwise would
> >find ground through your neon's secondary to the 120 VAC side... not a
> >good thing!
> >
> >There's a belief that grounding the case reduced RFI, but I'm not aware
> >of any actual before-after measurements. The first two above should be
> >reason enough...
> >
> >Safe coilin' to you!
> >
> >-- Bert --
> >

> Bert,
>
> I again am having trouble with noise, I was showing my neighbor a new laser
> I just got and he said he could hear my coil running LOUD over his phone
> conversation. I have filters inline now, what else can I do? I put some
> chokes on the HV outputs of my neon and the coil stoped sparking. Why?? I
> also have a excelent rf ground, would this be a good time to pull the Neon
> case to the RF gound? My filter system is well grounded (The case) to the
> house ground as recomended by manufacturer. Any tips or hints, a faraday
> cage is out the question, I now have a coil, 2 lasers (Very big) and my
> other electronic junk in my play room, no room, money, or time to construct
> a cage.
>
> Anything I overlook?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>                                        Regards,
>                                             Kevin Nardelle
>
>    ********************************************
>    * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
>    ********************************************
> Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
> My main web page IS UP all TESLA
> related with lotsa pictures and links.
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
> http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
> Non related sites I have
> The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev
Kevin,
	If you got few hundred $$$ try an isolation
transformer from C&H Supply. They have 1KVA single phase
to 15KVA 3 phase isolation transformers (120/220) for
this type of problem. They've got a 1KVA single phase
isolation transformer for $200 US, that should be just
right for you.

My two cents.
D. Gowin