[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> > Subject: Re: Optimal Quenching Tests
>
> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Sun Jan 12 22:11:40 1997
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:15:29 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Optimal Quenching Tests
>
> Ed, John, and all,
>
> Clearly some pictures are worth many kB of words! Since I already had
> the PSPICE models set up, thought I'd give a go at generating some
> JPEG's. These should make much of the discussion about quenching little
> clearer in some other posts. Many of the terms like beats, notches,
> frequency splits can be very confusing. Hope these make some of the
> earlier postings a little more understandable. They'll probably also
> "spark" some discussion as well.

Very nice stuff Bert. Now I know what you guys meant by "notch".

> QNCH - Near-Optimal quench at about 22 uSec. Also, the "one-way" energy
> transfers from primary to secondary can be clearly seen, and the long
> secondary ring-down (no breakout assumed).
>
> QNCHFFT - FFT view of the above near-optimal quenching case. Note the
> absence of splitting, sidebands, etc. Also, the marked difference in
> primary and secondary Q's can be seen in their bandwidths. 1:1 alignment
> of peaks at 90 kHz.

The neat thing here is that your primary current is NEARLY an impulse. This
is brough out very clearly by the fact that the primary FFT is VERY
broadband in its frequency spectrum. By quenching quickly you don't allow
any interaction between the two tuned circuits and therefore there can't
be any splitting. This should also happen to a greater extent if you quench
 too soon or if your coupling increases (I think).

One question: for real circuits you've got a non-linear resistance due to
the
discharge arcs. Do you think these arc break-out before the calculated
optimal quench time? If so, I wonder how much the quench time is changed
by the presence of the secondary discharge arcs....

-Ed Harris