[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests

<<       I'm presently exploring the benefits of quenching the spark-gap arc
at
 > the first RF beat frequency "notch" (1st beat notch) in the tank energy.

 snip

  Anyway, we need a better spark-gap design
 > (or a replacement for the spark-gap) to test the benefits of fast
quenching
 > at high power levels  Has anyone done any work along these lines?
 Comments
 > or suggestions anyone?
 > John Freau <<<

> John,

>My work over Christmas shows severe attentuation of the RF envelope with
 >proper quench. (you get a beautiful ring wave though)  It was only with a
 >long primary/secondary interaction time (5-15us for 500 khz coil) that
 >sparks grew to max length.  You'll see this in tape #55 which will be in
> the mail to you in the next day or two.  Obviously if we leave the spark
 >on to long for a given coupling, we have a bad situation.  It is
 >important to realize that max spark is what we, as Tesla coil buffs, are
 >after and not necessarily good tune or quench which would satisfy theory
 >or a bunch of radio engineers.

> I'm still workin on this along with the electrostatic part of TC output.

 >Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard,

I agree that some interaction between pri and sec is good.  In my system,  k
was .09 in one test (550 kHz), and best quench occured at around 4 uS.  I did
not see any wave packets in the sec RF, the energy just built up--then rang
down in a smooth  decrementing manner.  If I quenched later, at around 10 uS
for instance, then I saw definite wave packets in the sec, before clean
ring-down began.  I call the 4 uS condition "best quench time" for spark
production.  It is possible that limitations within my equipment is not
allowing me to see every RF detail.  But my results regarding optimal
"real-world" quench times do agree very closely with your findings.

I don't know if this sort of quenching will eliminate the racing spark
problem at high powers.

John Freau