[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary coil

<< Folks -
   Could anybody point me to instructions for building a primary coil (there
 is lots of info. floating about regarding the secondary coil, but I don't
 recall so much for this portion of the circuit.)  I've read many references
 to 3/8 copper tubing, half-inch spacing with a 30 degree bank.  Why?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
                                       Aaron Datesman

Aaron,

I am not aware of any instructions.  The primary design depends on how big of
a system you are building.  The rule of thumb I have heard is to build a
saucer shaped primary for small coils  <=1.5 kva and use a flat spiral for
larger systems.  Having said that, I have a saucer shaped primary on my big
coil (6.0" dia secondary and 5 to 7 kva power supply) and a flat spiral on my
small 3.0" dia secondary system.  The 6.0" coil started out with neon sign
transformers for power and gradually moved up to a pile of them and then to a
pole pig.  Had I know that in the beginning, I would have built that primary
in a flat spiral also.  The conductor size and spacing is pretty much
determined by the power and voltage involved.  I used 3/8" copper tubing with
3/8" spacing on the large system and #10 solid copper wire with .45" spacing
on the small coil.  I really should have used 1/4" copper tubing for this
primary.

Now that I have built them both, I would use a flat spiral for any size
standard spark driven Tesla coil.  Even with the flat primary on the small
coil, I get coupling tight enough to see the blue corona field between
primary and secondary.  As I raise power, I will probably have to loosen this
coupling somewhat by raising the secondary.

Ed Sonderman