[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First coil! (Beware, NEWBEE!)

Hi everyone, I have been interested in Nikola Tesla since about 7th
grade, I had to do a report on anybody not from the United States, after
hearing much about him around magazines and TV, I wrote a nice report,
after that, it has been my wish for a while to build (AND UNDERSTAND)
some of his inventions. To start, I want to build a coil (A simple one).
For my first, because of its simplicity in design, I want to built a
Solid State coil, and I have some questions about it, as well as
questions concerning the standard Coils built by most of you ;) (But
those questions will come later).

I found these plans, and I'm sure you have too at
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/electronics/tesla/misc/sstesla.gif , they
look relatively easy, and I have most the parts allready. (12v supply,
capacitor, etc.)

Ok, I will begin ASKING away! Please be calm with me, I am a serious
newbee.

<- Lets start all the way at the left, to the mass of diodes.

I have a VERY good 12V power supply rated at 5amps. (I got it from a
transformer dealer out of the catalog, I would like to purchase another,
but lost the info, if anyone knows of good dealers for ANY parts I would
need here and other projects let me know please!). And it is DC
allready, I was wondering if since it has all the necessary diodes to
make it DC, do I really need to create the bulk you see at the begining?
Or is it a waste to build it if I allready have a DC power supply?

This Image:

 -------
  -----
   ---
    -

Does that mean all the grounds are connected? Even the ground from the
house? And the negative pole to the ground also? This is the way I would
interperate it, but I may be wrong.

Next.. :) Please keep up, and if you do respond, please hit all my
questions! (Newbee again, like I said).

The required capacitor is a 16V -at- 1800uf. Well... I allready have a
Sprague Powerlytic 15V -at- 21,000uf capacitor, can I substitute this
instead? I dont think it should make a difference. (right? And it may
give it more juice ;)

Moving along..

The Transistors I understand! Easy enough ehh? (Gee).

Now for the coreing.

Ok, big one here. NOW, what type of core does a Solid State coil use?
Ferite? Air?

And... See how the Feedback is above the Primary, and it states at the
bottom that it is suppost to be on top of it? So do all the windings add
up to about the same tallness? And do I gotta wrap them RIGHT on top of
each other or can I coat each layer to help with the windings? And then
the HV (Would be the secondary I guess) is said to use the "Original
Winding".. Uhhh. Which? The #18 Insulated Hook-up Wire (And what is this
anyhow?)

Ok, last questions: What type of wire is used? Copper? This Insulated
Hook-up Wire?

And what is the estimated power I would recieve out of such a device? I
heard from someone 40kv.

Thank you! Please please oh please if you can, write me some notes on
building this, or if you have any better plans!

Thank you cool people! And you Chip for hosting such a cool Mailing
List!

                                                  -Jeremy Bair
                                        Programmer, Technician, Pioneer?