[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tubing, how bizarre they are!

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:25:56 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
writes:
>Subscriber: dwt-at-efn-dot-org Tue Feb 11 23:06:26 1997
>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 17:17:23 -0800
>From: David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Tubing, how bizarre they are!
>
>Hello, I want to thank John Freau publically for sending out the tube
>coil schematic. I threw together a coil this weekend using a modified
>version of the design john provided me with, and am pleased with the
>prelimanary results. With two 803's and a microwave oven transformer I
>am able to get a wonderfully bizarre brush discharge of five inches.
>These babies are a sensitve lot though. Ok, so now for the qustions:
>How
>hot is to hot for the 803's? I can run them for about two minutes
>before
>they get to hot to touch, this is with a 2400 Volt -at-~500mA (actually
>not
>sure of the current rating of the transformer, the microwave was rated
>at 1.2 Kw). Next qustion: I have  two 4cx250b's, but could trade them
>for a pair of 813's, I like seeing whats going on inside, but the
>4cx250b's have a 250 watt PD and the 813'S only a 125, should I stick
>with the 4cx250b's? Thanks for any sugestions,
>
>David Trimmell

   Hi David,

  You have to move ALOT of air through the 4cx250 anode
cooler to reach the 250 watt rating, and the 250 is
nowhere near as forgiving as far a over voltage or any
kind of overload condition. The 813 is a much larger tube
but I think for a tesla coil it would be a much better
choice.

			Mark Graalman