[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri/Sec coiling

Tesla List wrote:

> >> Subject: Re: Pri/Sec coiling
>
> Subscriber: rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net Mon Feb 10 22:02:13 1997
> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 11:33:24 -0500 (EST)
> From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Pri/Sec coiling
>
> At 11:39 PM 2/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >> Subject: Re: Pri/Sec coiling
> >
> >Subscriber: pwac-at-flinet-dot-com Fri Feb  7 23:37:18 1997
> >Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 22:40:42 +0500
> >From: Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Pri/Sec coiling
> >
> >Tesla List wrote:
> snip
> >
> >Is the coil winding something you guys take for granted? I mean, I am
> >getting ready to build my first, and that thought came accross my mind
> >many times, I saw pictures apon pictures of coiling, and they went the
> >same direction, so I didn't give it any more thought. But I guess we all
> >have it clear, they SHOULD wind in the same direction right?
> >
> >So the whole deal with magnifier coils is that they are directly
> >(inversely) out of phase, so each primary oscillation would cause both
> >secondaries to release at separate identical times? (Newbee alert ;).
> >
> >If anyone here has ever built a tesla coil running off one 12Kv 30ma
> >neon, let me know, this will be my first. And possibly make another with
> >two 15kv neons ;) if the first is successfull, and I take it I will
> >learn a GREAT deal of information upon the completion of the first?
> >Isn't that what practice is?
> >
> >Also, let me know if these prices are cheap for used neons.
> >
> >12KV 30ma  - 20$  (Franceformer)
> >15KV 30ma  - 25$  "            "
> >9KV  60ma  - 20$  "            "
> >
> >If they are good, I will order me up allot.
> >
> >Also, I need to know if it is definatly a must to remove the transformer
> >from the tar and metal caseing, and why people do it? I have heard
> >people saying they boiled theirs in desel to get the tar off, and at
> >what cost?
> >
> >Thanks people! Also (Man I am loaded today!!) if anyone has any "safety"
> >notes for neon transformers let me know, things like, power is left in
> >the neon after being unplugged, but not discharged, use a light build in
> >the series of the power in to prevent the neon from being over worked.
> >Etc!
> >
> >Thanks again!
> >
> >Jeremy Bair
> >
> >Jeremy,
>
> 1.  Winding direction in the standard two coil or magnifier is un-inmportant.
> 2.  Anything under $25 is cheap for a "good" used neon transformer.
> 3.  Never remove a good transformer from the metal casing.
> 4.  Never hook a light bulb in series with the neon.  They are internally
> protected by magnetic shunts.
> 5.  When power is truly off, the neon transformer, itself, is stone cold dead.
>
> R. Hull, TCBOR

Under 25$ for a good used? Well, its new, but out of warranty, so CHEAP.
It has been passed from people to people being tested, but never used.

Ok. I just don't want to blow my neons from day 1!!

BTW: What is a GOOD way I can test these neons? Make a Jacobs ladder?
Hold (Or aha, not hold, but suspend) a phosphoresant light above the
terminals?

Also, just as a note for anyone who can respond, the lady (the lady that
is selling the neons) had a device called a "Tester" that she uses to
test neon presence in her bulbs, the way she described it, it sounded
like a Tesla coil without the gaps or the caps?? Does this make sense??

Jeremy Bair