[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil Experiments in Austin

Hello all,

Are there any coilers in the Austin area on the List?  I'm bringing
my coil along with the SRL folks, to the show in Austin on March 28.
I'd like to meet any coilers there, and get some suggestions on good
places to get surplus HV equipment, in case something goes up in flames!

There will be opportunities for some interesting experiments this time,
since I will not be allowed to attach to the local feeder -- instead
they opted to rent a construction generator in order to isolate the coil,
and 175 kVA was the smallest size unit that they could find!  I only need
50 kVA of that to run the coil, but it is now my goal to somehow dump the
full capacity of that generator into a 30 foot electric arc.

I hope to do so by bootstrapping the secondary with a 100 kJ, 25 kV bank
of capacitors, fed by a 100 kVA capacitor charging power supply.  In this
way whenever the streamer connects solidly with a grounded object, the
caps will disruptively discharge thru the arc, followed by 100 kW of CW from
the DC power supply.  Then when the streamer breaks away or is interrupted,
then the power supply will recharge the caps.

Any comments regarding the feasibility of this setup will be appreciated.

-GL