[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grounding ?'s

Ed,
	Thanks for the help.  So far this is all I know about my system.
It is running off a 6 kv 30ma transformer.  there are 983 truns of 24 ga.
magnet wire on a sanded and sealed 4" pve drain pipe (actually
circumference is 13 7/16 " which would make the diameter about 4.277 ")
.  The primary is made of 10 ga. house wire wound on vertical dowels
forming a helix with a diameter of 10 ".  I tried making a 4" x 20"
toroid to place on top but when I did I could not get the system to
spark out at all, thus for the science fair I replaced the toroid with a
aluminum pie pan.  As for the capacitance of the snapple bottles, I am
not sure how to calculate it and I do not think I have the equipment to
test for it.
	One thing I was curious about, when I ran it for the science
fair, many times it would not run from the start, I would plug it in and
the spark gap would fire a few times and then the thing would just hum.
In order to get it to work I had to plug it in and unplug it several
times and eventually it would get going.  Is my safety gap arcing over
or something.
	Anyway thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

Adios
Ronnie