[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

<< All,
> >	Does any one have voltage holdoff vs radius of curvature
>>values or formulas for toroids? Or suggestions for ROC vs power level?
> >
 >>I'm asking because I've bought my TC back on line and I only getting
>>2' air discharges from the toroid. WHAT you say! Only 2' discharges?
>>Yes but, there are about a dozen at once. I'm using a 15kV 60ma
>>transformer, 16nF primary cap, 120uH inverted cone primary, 8" by 20"
>>#22 secondary and a 27" by 3" toroid. The resonant frequency
>>(instrument measurement) is 133kHz.
 >
>>Any suggestions for a toroid major and minor diameters for this?
 >
 >	Regards,
 >
>>	jim

 >Jim
> You are in the ball park of normal operation of one 60 ma transformer!  It
> sounds like you are breaking out too soon.  Probably due to a short radius
 >of curvature on the 3" minor axis toroid!  That's a big secondary for for
>that one little neon xfrmer!  The .016ufd cap is also a bit big for the
>transformer.  It sounds more like early breakout though with multiple 2
> footers.  Try a smaller diameter, fatter toroid.

>Richard Hull, TCBOR

Jim, Richard,

I agree that a larger toroid should help.  My TC was very similar to yours in
many ways:  15kV, 60ma trans,    7" x 19" sec wound with #25 magnet  wire,
  .018uF cap,   but I used a 6 x 26" toroid stacked on top of a 4 x17"
toroid.  My gap system was simply 6 giant steel roller bearings placed in
line with 1/8" spacings between them.  Spark output was at least 49", but may
have been longer.  I used a 0 - 140V input variac for max blasting power!
  Happy Toroiding!

John Freau