[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

At 10:10 PM 2/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
>Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Sat Feb  1 21:51:19 1997
>Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 09:19:36 -0800
>From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> Subscriber: jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com Fri Jan 31 23:11:00 1997
>> Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 03:21:50 GMT
>> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>super snipperoo

>Jim,
>
>Use a toroid diameter of at least 2/3 to 1X the diameter of your coil.
>An 8" coil, driven fairly agressively, should support a 6" ROC toroid.
>If you err on the large side, you can still always force it to break out
>by using one or more small foil duct-tape "bumps" to disrupt the e-field
>and instigate corona (where you want it - :^)). It sounds like your
>system is prematurely breaking out and could use a bigger ROC toroid.
>
>If you can get to the point where the toroid just starts breaking out
>after 1-3 seconds of operation (i.e., after you've built up a local ion
>cloud around the toroid), you've hit the right size! Unfortunately, I
>find that day-day variations in humidity may cause better/worse
>performance when you're right at the egde.
>
>Safe coilin' to you, Jim!
>
>-- Bert H. --
>

>Bert, Jim,

I usually shoot for 2X the coils length as a toroidal diameter!!  Obviously,
in Jim's case he is grossly underpowered for such an item.

The reason to select so large a top load with regard to the resonator is
Tesla's own suggestion that the system might be better designed from the
resonator backwards!  He made this statement in the CSN.

The resonator is the darling of the Tesla coil engine, and being the mover
and shaker, it should be looked at from the standpoint of "how much do I
want out?" and then choose a suitable top hat.  From this point, figure
backwards to arrive at all the rest of the system parameters, including
required energy input to breakout of the monster you have created.  I never
start with the transformer and work towards the toroid as last
consideration.  It is a first thought item!

In Jim's case, he has a transformer and that is his limiting factor.  He can
never get what he desires from his system beyond what the little neon
transformer can supply.  So I would imagine a 12" X 5" toroid might be
sufficient maybe a little larger.

Richard Hull, TCBOR