[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Explanation of the positive E.S. charge

>Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:15:48 -0700
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>
>Subscriber: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net Fri Jan 31 23:06:54 1997
>Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 06:21:57 -0800
>From: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Explanation of the positive E.S. charge
>
>Richard Hull wrote:
>
>> I would imagine with electron emission, this might be reduced a bit so that
>> what we might be seeing is Rydberg atoms.  I have always left this
>> possibility open.  Rydberg atoms are bipolar!!  The outer electron orbital
>> in a Rydberg can cause the atom to be a 100s of microns in diameter,
>> orbiting over an area 10s of millions of times larger than the normal
>> quantum number n=1.  Rydbergs can easily attain n=100 or more.
>

>What is a Rydberg atom?
>
>-GL

   An atom with an electron excited to a very high quantum number.  In
   other words the outer electron is orbitting very far away making
   the whole atom bigger than it would be in its ground state.

   Have a look at these URLs:

   Exploration of Quantum Chaos by Optical Spectroscopy of Rydberg Atoms
   http://amo.mit.edu/users/mdata/home.html

  (you'll have to look around a bit in this one)

  Stroud Wave Packet Home Page
  http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/stroud/wavepacket/quantum.html

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.