[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC TC

Has anyone built a DC powered Tesla Coil other than a tube type Tesla
Coil?

A tube tesla coil is basically a pulsating DC Tesla Coil.

A car ignition coil is DC and operates from points that open and close.
But it's not TC.

I found an artical where someone built a large auto transformer that
produced 42" sparks from a battery power supply.  It's not TC either.

Many years ago I built a crude Tesla Coil using a DC power supply an 810
tube and a signal generator to drive the control grid.

It seem to me if a DC power source could be pulsed at resonate frequency
it would work fine for a Tesla Coil.

The next question is what is the best way to pulse a DC power supply
with out a tube?  How about a DC power supply with an adjustable charge
rate for the capacitor bank. The discharge rate threw the spark gap
could be adjusted to find resonate frequency?  The capacitors would have
to be sized correctly for the proper charge rate.

With a Tesla Coils operating on a DC power supply it seem like the
toroid or sphere on top of the secondary would charge up in one polarity
like a Van De Graff generator.  Would the Tesla Coil produce longer and
more powerful output sparks at resonate frequency from DC?

For a TC operating on an AC 12K transformer the peak to peak voltage
swing would be 19,968.volts.  For the DC power supply to be equal to the
AC example the DC supply would have to be 19,968. VDC.

Assuming it would be possible to pulse the DC power supply without a
tube would the output sparks at the secondary be longer or more
powerful?  The same?

Gary Weaver