[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My new coil

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com Thu Feb 13 22:06:55 1997
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:26:05 -0500 (EST)
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: My new coil

> <<
>  I have just recently completed the construction of my second coil.
>
>  The coil consists of a 10" secondary wound on HDPE pipe 950 turns of
>  1.02mm enameled copper wire.   The secondary consists of 11 turns of
>  3/8"
>  copper pipe, capacitors are home made poly/foil construction 0.03uF.
>
>  Powered by 11KV 5KVA single phase pole transformer using a home made
>  rotary spark gap based on a brush type motor with top speed of 15,000
>  rpm.
>
>  The toroid is pathetic, being the same diameter as the coil, I
>  could'nt wait to try the coil out so last week end I fired her up.
>
>  The first time of firing this coil was also the first time of using a
>  pole transformer, so I thought it best to do things slowly!
>
>  By turning to rotor on the gap so that two electrodes aligned I powered
>  the
>  coil up using a variac.   At about 10% the gap fires, and soon becomes
>  red
>  hot, not much good for coil firing but OK for tuning up using a
>  flurescent
>  tube.   Having found a good tune (turn 9), the rotary gap was started at
>  low
>  revs.
>
>  With more power being applied to the pole transformer large bangs and
>  rough
>  coil running the variac began to smoke and fuses blew.   12" sparks for
>  the
>  top of the coil - went to bed.
>
>  Using a pole transformer for the first time was scarey!   Good job I had
>  practiced on a neon transformer first.   I always unplug HV supply when
>  making
>  adjustments even if the variac is at 0%.   I got a nasty shock from my
>  neon
>  when supply still connected and variac at 0%.  I later measured the
>  output
>  of the variac - it was 2 volts, stepped up through the neon made
>  150volts.
>
>  With a fresh mind the next morning I repaired the variac (stuck brushes)
>  replaced the fuses, and used a 100 meter extension lead as resistive
>  balast.
>
>  This time I ran the spark gap at
>  about 40% and coil at 40%.   Things ran much smoother, no banging, and
>  no
>  blowen fuses.   Getting 2' arcs.   Increced power to coil to 100%.
>  Sparks
>  now up to 3'.    Increaced power to spark gap to 80%.   The spark length
>  increaced significantly 4-5' the color of sparks changed from purple to
>  white/blue, noise increaced (need ear protection) - must be getting
>  better
> [...]

Wow, I'm sorry for your rotor breaking, but you were getting 4-5'
withoug a toroid?!? Amazing. Got any photos of this?

You got alot you are adding, have fun, and protect yourself (Mainly from
the flying rotors ;).

I'm currious if you have a safety gap (Well, I'm sure you do), and did
it fire like crazy when your rotor broke? Did this melt down the safety
gap or did you catch it quick?

I gotta see this, next run, please please grap some pictures!!

Jeremy Bair