[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid Shape

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Top Toroid
> Date: Saturday, February 01, 1997 1:15 AM
>
> > Subject: Re: Top Toroid
> > Subject: Re: Top Toroid
> > >Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
> Subscriber: huffman-at-fnal.gov Fri Jan 31 23:10:02 1997
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:50:41 -0600
> From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
> Hi Group,
> OK I have a capacitance meter and several toroids, can they be measured
> directly or do you put them on top of an inductor and from the freq.
shift
> calculate the capacitance?
>  __     __
> /  \   /  \
> \__/   \__/  does the capacitance change much if the toroid
>  __ ___ __
> /         \
> \__ ___ __/ is filled in the middle. I would think the E-field looks
> similar.
>
> Dave Huffman

Dave,
Off the top of my head I believe that the second toroid will exhibit
greater total capacitance in the Real World where you have a CEILING above
you! The area inside the donut is very low in electrostatic lines of force,
but the flat top type does have perpendicular lines present. I don't know
how significant it is. I do know that the full donut toroid is preferred in
Tesla coils because of the pattern of the force lines it produces. In TC
work we want the strikes to be thrown UP and OUT so we get maximum striking
distance and maximum secondary protection. It isn't just a matter of
capacitance, but also the way the e-field is shaped. On the flat toroid the
e-field at top and bottom are pretty much perpendicular to the the surface
all the way across. You don't REALLY want strikes to go straight down, do
you?  I built a VDG once with a flat top toroid as shown, and taped
hundreds of two inch long threads to it so I could see the e-field. At ran
pretty much evenly across the top.

Fr. Tom Mcgahee