[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Westinghouse Transformers (newbee)

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: voltmaster-at-juno-dot-com Sun Feb 16 21:47:09 1997
> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:06:53 EST
> From: Nick h McQuiston <voltmaster-at-juno-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Westinghouse Transformers (newbee)
>
> Hi all
>
> I am new to this list so forgive me if this topic has already been talked
> about.
>
> About two weeks ago I was digging around in a junk yard and found 8
> westinghouse
> step down transformers. They are encased in hard rubber and measure 10in.
> by 10in. by 12in. Luckily one had a plate on it saying < Type PTM Ratio
> 1:120  Primary 14400V F.W. imp. test 95>. I took one and sparked a 30VDC
> power supply off the secondary an the primary threw a spark about an inch
> and a half to two inches.
>
> I just wondered if any one knew how to wire one up in reverse to run a
> TC.
>
> -Nicholas McQuiston
> voltmaster-at-juno-dot-com

Nick -

  What you have are called Potential Transformers. They are similar
to pigs, but are designed for high accuracy. They are used to monitor
the high-voltage grid conditions.

  You can run 'em backwards just like a pig - I use a 12,000 volt
1:100 ratio unit on my own large coil. The transformer is rated at
only 1.5KVa, but that is for the 0.5% voltage accuracy. I can get
nearly 4KVa out of it in my coil system.

  I've got a pic of it on the funet server:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/turner

  Check the 'turner.doc' file, but I *think* the photo series
was called cntrlr_x.jpg.

- Brent