[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pulsing DC

Tesla List wrote:

> T>It seem to me if a DC power source could be pulsed at resonate frequency
> T>it would work fine for a Tesla Coil.
>
>         I don't know about the pulsing of the dc power source, but
>         you're starting to make my head throb:
>
>         It doesn't matter a twit whether it pulses or not.  Or how
>         either.  The primary of a TC requires oscillatory current
>         whose frequency matches the natural resonance of the primary-
>         secondary-terminus combination.   Period.

This segment caused some concern... while your response is correct, it
could
be confusing to a person who doesn't have your background and
experience. The
original poster talked about "pulsing" the DC supply. The pulsing would
result
in a theoretical square wave at a particular frequency. If the frequency
of the
square wave was at resonance with the tank circuit then, yes, it would
work fine
for a TC. This is the fundamental theory behind every solid state TC
I've seen.
Once a square wave enters a tank circuit, it becomes oscillatory just
the same
as the old breaker-condenser-ignition coil tank circuit used in cars
prior to
the 1970s.
--

	Rick Holland