[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Photos

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com Fri Feb  7 23:23:10 1997
> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 15:54:07 -0500
> From: "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Cc: jmh19-at-cornell.edu
> Subject: Coil Photos
>
> I am so proud of my new coil i just had to post a few pictures. It's a 6.25"
> secondary, 4.5" x 19"  toroid, 13 turns of .375 copper primary.
> I have a 120ma 12kv neon for power and a .015uf maxwell cap (thanks Jim) to
> make it ring. The RQ gap is visible to the rear as well as the safety up front.
>
> I had a 40w red light on in a few of the photos and exposed the 400 film for
> 10 seconds before running the coil for 3-5 seconds.
>
>   [Part 2, Image/JPEG  50KB]
>   [Unable to print this part]
>
>   [Part 3, Image/JPEG  61KB]
>   [Unable to print this part]
>
>   [Part 4, Image/JPEG  59KB]
>   [Unable to print this part]
>
>   [Part 5, Image/JPEG  59KB]
>   [Unable to print this part]
>
>   [ Part 6: "Attached Text" ]
>
> George...
> HAM=N4ZPO
> SGMET=#244
> FCC=PG-5-6642
> erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com
>
>  [Image]

George,

Congratulations on first light! From the looks of it, you've got quite a
nice performing coil - some of the strikes look like they're hitting 4
feet. The toroid height appears to be about right, with much of your
discharges going out laterally. At the powerlevels you're using, you'll
probably want to look into improving the quenching on your static gap by
adding force-air or vacuum air flow through the gaps.

Safe coilin' to you, George!

-- Bert --