[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

400hz driven coils

Skip and the group,

I recently read the following:

>> By the way, did you ever wonder why Tesla was interested in operating
some
>> of his Tesla coils from special AC generators that he designed that
allowed
>> him to use primary frequencies that were way above 60Hz? Could it be
that
>> at a frequency of say 400 Hz one might be able to increase the firing
rate
>> and still be operating the rotary gap in a synchronized fashion such
that
>> each firing would be at a large peak value?
 >Not only did Tesla do this but I believe that some on the list have
experimented with mains >frequencies above 60 hz. Higher mains
frequencies translate into more bangs per unit time and >therefore more
energy processed into the secondary.
>Skip

I have seen many times 400hz generators at the military auctions (for
next to nothing) and thought they were useless. Maybe they have a good
use for tesla work. They would keep your Teslacoil isolated from Edison
lines also.

  [Part 2, Text/HTML  44 lines]
  [Unable to print this part]