[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Losses

>Subject: Gap Losses
big big snip...

>Hey, let me get in here and stick my foot in my mouth!
>Could it be that when there is early firing you have *more* sets of gap
>sparks for the duration of time that the electrodes of the rotary gap are
>lined up? To put it another way: if the gap fires more often, won't it
>naturally get hotter?
>
>snip
>
>OK, now that I have firmly placed my foot in my mouth, let's see what the
>experts say... This should be fun!
>
>I believe someone out there at one time or another used fiber optic cable
>to help see what was going on when the rotary gap fired. Does this
>individual remember if there was a correlation between the firing angle and
>the number of times the gap fired during the time the electrodes were lined
>up?
>
>Conjecture is fine, but data always brings out the truth.
>
>Fr. Tom McGahee

Tom,

You thoughts are probably the correct one in this issue.  Early firing
allows possible extra firing at or after the peak of the sine.  This assumes
a comensurate reduction in gap spacing to allow for earlier firing. (usually
in static gaps)  With a syncronous gap, off sync and early, this might be
the case also.  Thus the extra heat due to more firing opportunities with
the extra time in and around the peak of the sine.

Richard Hull, TCBOR