[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri/Sec coiling

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Tesla List wrote:

Hi Robert,

> rwstephens: The wind direction on Tesla coils is very definitely critical when
> building a tandem coil system with a separate secondary in each of the two
> primaries, or the same primary with two secondaries suspended within it.
> In this case, given that the primaries are wound the same direction, or you use a
> single shared primary, then the secondaries will have to be wound
> opposite sense from each other to get a 180 degree phase difference
> between the top terminals.  If you do not do this the two coils will
> not speak to each other with hot streamers.

Hmmm, I was wondering as to how the two coils arced to each other. I
figured such that to make them arc, they have to be effectively
either partially (at least 90 degrees) or completely out of phase (180) as to
setup a large enough potential difference, else, I guess it might make a
display kind of interesting if two coils were attempting to arc to each
other and were in phase! Hmmm...has anyone done this?

> As mentioned by the others, in a classical two coil, or magnifier,
> the sense of the coils matters not.

Ah! <Click...bzzz, brain kicks in...> I thought I had a problem there,
however, both the secondary and primary on my coil are wound in the same
direction..

Thanks Robert, much appreciated!

Cheers!

Rod