[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:40:22 -1200
From: Ken Smith <ksmith-at-ihug.co.nz>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

At 21:12 27/02/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Ed, Greg, and all,
>I have noticed that a lot of little park playgrounds have these slides that
>are made from plastic tubing that is large enough for the children to slide
>inside of them. The middle section is a straight section that is bolted to
>the curved sections. This straight section would make an ideal coil form,
>wouldn't it? I wonder who actually manufactures the plastic sections, and
>what they would charge for one? Anyone out there with a tape measure who
>can tell us what the dimensions (length, diameter) on the straight tube
>are? I know they are made of plastic with a high insulation value. I would
>guess that they are fairly expensive, but it looks like they would be
>excellent coil forms. Has anyone out there used any of these?

I have followed this secondary debate with some interest (if only academic
<g> - mine is only 4 inches across (and I am talking secondaries here <BG>))

If you want to wind a big secondary, could you not go open in the same way
as the primary. Does there have to be something between the wire and the center?

My thought was to use 1 inch poly tube as verticals spaced say around a 3
foot circle with a suitable number of formers up the height of same and at
the top for rigidity.  Although this would only be an approximation of a
circle (depending upon the number of pipes) - is seems to me that this
wouldn't matter. How you would rig this on a jig for winding is another
matter - but in principle would it work ?

Over.

Ken
Ken Smith
Weymouth