[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Moody Bible Inst. Tesla Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:10:56 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Moody Bible Inst. Tesla Coil (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
<SNIP>

Fr. Tom and all,

When I was a kid growing up in Milwaukee Wisconsin, I saw this
demonstration! This was back in about 1958 or so. The guy's name was
George Speak if I remember correctly, and he was an
evangelist/scientist. He put on one _fantastic_ show, weaving science
and religion together. The grand finale was with him standing atop the
coil, with lightning coming off his fingertips (which had thimbles on
them for protection). They advertised this as a 1 Million Volt coil
(although it was probably actually less than half that). But incredibly
impressive it was!!

Although I was interested in science and electronics before this, the
demonstration helped put me firmly onto a career in electrical
engineering, and a continuing fascination with Tesla Coils! It's been
almost 400 years before I finally know the details about how this coil
actually was designed!! Thank you Tom!

Anyone know whatever became of this rig??

-- Bert --