[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Time constant between primary and secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:14:54 -0500
From: "Alfred C. Erpel" <aerpel-at-op-dot-net>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Time constant between primary and secondary (fwd)

>> Maybe I have just
>> missed reading about this so far.  Also I would venture that there is an
>> optimal relationship to seek between the time constants and the operating
>> frequency (peak to peak time) so one isn't "waiting" for the other.

>Can you be more specific?

Malcolm,

    If L/R (= 1 time constant = 63% of current rise)  either in the primary
circuit or the secondary circuit, was a small enough period of time, then if
the operating frequency of the coil were high enough, it is conceivable that
the time it takes for 1/4  cycle of the sine wave would be less than one
time constant, so you couldn't possibly transfer more than 63% of available
energy (ideally it seems to me, that this time should equal 5 time
constants).

Regards,
Alfred