[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bypass caps and Neons *NEEDED!* (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:15:50 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Bypass caps and Neons *NEEDED!* (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Dale,

Safety gaps SG1 and SG2 provide protection from overvolting the primary
circuit transformer or tank cap due to low frequency power supply-tank
cap resonance effects. SG3, in addition, helps handle the situation of a
streamer hitting the primary circuit, particularly on the primary tap
line (below). A streamer hit at this point has the potential (npi :^))
to take out your tank cap. SG3 and SG1 acta as an arrester that breaks
down before either the HV transformer or the tank cap, bypassing the HV
transient safely to ground.

-- Bert --

                                                  SG3
                                             ----o   o---
                                             |          |
                                             |    | |   |
   O----------------.--------.----OOOOOOO----.----| |---.
   O                |        |       L1      |    | |   |
   O                |   C1 -----             |    Tank  |
   O                o      -----             |     Cap  |   O
   O           SG1           |         Main  o          |   O
   O     |     SG2           |     |         |         Tap  O
   O   -----        o   C2 -----   |         |              O Tesla Coil
   O  / / /         |      -----   |         |              O Primary

  HV1                              |
 Xfrmr                       To Solid RF Gnd