[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tungsten electrodes

From: 	Gary Lau  12-Dec-1997 1617[SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, December 12, 1997 2:50 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Tungsten electrodes

What sizes are tungsten welding rods available in?  All of the RSG
electrodes I've seen discussed arc from the tip.  Seems to me that a
geometry that has it arcing in a line along the side of a rod, similar to
the tubes in an RQ static gap, would result in a cooler, lower impedance,
faster quenching arc.  Is tungsten available in something like 1/8" rods?
Also, can tungsten be silver-soldered?

I'm envisioning 1/2" long by 1/8" dia rod segments, mounted radially and
embedded in a .09" G10 disk, stator electrodes opposite side 1, tungsten
rods silver-soldered to a copper plate heat sink on side 2 and
electrically connected together on side 2.  Stator electrodes are also
1/2" long rods parallel to rotor rods.  Power level is 1-2KW, 1800 RPM.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA