[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Poly Expansion is Useful

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, December 09, 1997 6:50 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Poly Expansion is Useful

Michael,
The poly expansion HAS been mentioned a few times on this list, but
it is always good to have frequent reminders of these things. By the
way, you can actually put this poly expansion to good use :)

If the poly and plates are initially assembled either dry or
with a thin layer of oil applied inside a rigid container such as
one made of polycarbonate, and the container then secured shut,
with the entire assembly just snug inside the casing and then
filled with oil very slowly as in your case, then eventually the
poly tries to swell 5% and THAT acts as the final *compression* that
we want! That final compression will drive out the bubbles, if
there are any present.  The case, of course, must be able to
take these compressive forces without bulging or leaking. Oil can
be introduced through a hole in the frame of the case. The hole
will need to be plugged after all oil is introduced and
expansion has levelled off.

Fr. Tom McGahee