[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Morecroft book

From: 	Gary Johnson[SMTP:gjohnson-at-ksu.edu]
Sent: 	Saturday, December 06, 1997 1:58 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Morecroft book

Several months ago, someone on the Tesla List recomended the book
"Principles of Radio communication" by J. H. Morecroft, published by Wiley
in 1921.  I checked it out of the Kansas State University library and read
extended portions related to Tesla coils, especially Chapter 4, Laws of
Oscillating Circuits, and Chapter 5, Spark Telegraphy.  I have read a lot of
material about Tesla coils in the past 10 years, but still found substantial
amounts of new information in this book.  I consider it important background
for any coiler who wants to be really proficient in the craft.

The book is 919 pages long and not all of it is directly applicable to Tesla
coils.  Chapters 1 and 2 deal with circuit theory, Chapter 3 with radio
communications, Chapter 6 with vacuum tubes, Chapter 7 with continuous-wave
telegraphy, Chapter 8 with radio telephony, Chapter 9 with antennas and
radiation, Chapter 10 with wavemeters, Chapter 11 with amplifiers, and
Chapter 12 with radio experiments.

I assume the book would be available from most large University libraries by
interlibrary loan.  If that does not work, take your wife to the nearest
University town some Sunday afternoon, drop her off at the nearest mall, and
spend a few hours reading it in the library.  You could photocopy any pages
of particular interest.  I bet both you and your wife will enjoy the
afternoon.  The KSU library is relatively poor, so when I want to use a good
library, I take my wife and drive to Stillwater, Oklahoma, about 5 hours
away.  She shops, I browse the books, and we both have a good time.

Gary Johnson, Manhattan, KS