[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Spark Gap.

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, December 03, 1997 10:25 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Rotary Spark Gap.

<< TC list,
 I just got a 1' dia  1/2" thick Plexiglas plate and a 1/3 hp -at- 3000 rpm
 motor  (4.7 amps) for my rotary spark gap.
 I have seen pictures of gaps with a metal ring configuration so that one
 electrode on each side (1 foot away) of the
 disk makes up the gap,  and ones with electrodes that go through
 straight through disk.  Which method, if any, is best?
 Also what formula should I use to estimate the relationship between
 capacitor size and gap frequency?
 Does anybody know of a good piece of hardware suitable for electrode
 use?

 Thanks alot,
 Joshua Resnick

Joshua,

Don't use plexiglas (this is acrylic, right?) for a rotor in a rotary spark
gap.  It will explode.  Use Lexan (polycarbonate) or laminated fiberglas like
is used for making circuit boards or phenolic.  I have built mine using 3/8"
thick polycarbonate.  I use 8 electrodes on the rotor, made with 1/4"
threaded rod and stainless steel acorn nuts on each end.  The fixed
electrodes are 3/16" dia tungsten mounted in heavy copper blocks.

Ed Sonderman