[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: theory(?) for long sparks

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, December 03, 1997 1:59 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: theory(?) for long sparks

to: Malcom

The metal effect is valid.   Dr. R.G. Herb, University of Wisconsin, Dept
Plasma Physics, conducted research in this area in the late 1960's.  It
seems high voltage charges were developing microscopic "metal whiskers" off
of insulator stacks.  The whiskers would "grow" under high electrostatic
charges between metal toroids separated by ceramic insulators they were
developing for ultra high voltage ion accelerator tubes.  Dr. Herb is the
founder of National Electrostatics, Middleton, Wisconsin.  They developed
and market the "Pelletron" series of electrostatic accelerators that
produce beam currents of several milliAmperes at potentials up to 35 MEV
(Israel and Brazil installations).  These "whiskers" do have some effect in
the very large machines such as the units Rich Hull and Greg Leyh are
operating.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net