[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Losses

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, August 28, 1997 1:39 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Gap Losses

Richard Hull wrote:

> After chewin' on the math for two extremes in my favorite, performer, 2 coil
> systems, I come to a Zchar. value between 3-6 ohms/gap.  It seems to agree
> with yours pretty closely.  Dare we assume this is some sort of performance
> range?!

I'll bet that it is, since ohms/gap determines the losses in the primary,
and therefore the overall performance of the coil.  If a single gap is about
0.25 ohm, then a Zchar of 3-6 ohms would give primary Q's in the range of
12 to 24. It seems that such unloaded Q values represent a good compromise
between primary loss and step-up ratio.

> Probably, it is more of safe range for someone wanting a quick and dirty
> generalization that won't get them in trouble when designing and building an
> important system which has got to work out of the chute.  Ideally, of
> course, tweaking and dinkin' with the system after construction will improve
> the performance. (perhaps by even adding or subtracting gaps!)

At this point, I am definitely doing everything possible from the 'armchair'
point of view so that the coil might work 'out of the chute', since even the
simplest jobs, like changing the toroid, will require renting construction
equipment a week in advance.

-GL