[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HF sparks

From: 	Peter Electric[SMTP:elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au]
Reply To: 	elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au
Sent: 	Friday, August 08, 1997 5:56 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: HF sparks

>      Peter E.
>
>    The JHCTES computer program shows 331 KHZ for your coil. This is found
> from the pri and sec LC circuits. These two circuits must be in tune and
> give equal frequencies. The program shows 8.9 sec inductance and 25.93 pf
> sec capacitance.   What does the WinTesla program show?

The Wintesla shows 315Khz, 9.88mH, 25.76pF. It gives me 8.11pf for the
Sec. coil alone.

>     With the 22 inch sphere the frequency should be about 274 KHZ. You
> indicate a capacity of 30 pf, however, the capacity will depend on the
> proximity to the coil, etc which lowers the sphere capacity and increases
> the frequency.  The test frequency could be higher than 274.

So much for theory, actual results using the good old two LED and sig
generator method give the following results -
			With the above toroid .. 355Khz
 			With the 22" sphere ..	268Khz
			Unloaded ..		619Khz

>    Changing the toroid or coil to something larger may increase the spark
> length up to the maximum capability of the power source. Note that optimum
> parameters for spark length vs power, frequency, Q factor, K factor etc,etc.
> are now found by trial and error. Computer programs eliminate some of the
> guesswork. Improvements will depend on how well coilers test their  programs
> in the future to get new accurate data. There are few coilers who do much
> testing that produces tabular data and graphs upon which to base design
> decisions.

Being a technical rather than theoretical guy, I am somewhat impressed
by how close most of these programs have come to predicting these values
and particularly the number of turns of primary. (almost spot on with
WinTesla)