[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HF sparks

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, August 05, 1997 2:48 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: HF sparks

At 05:24 AM 8/3/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

     Peter E.

   The JHCTES computer program shows 331 KHZ for your coil. This is found
from the pri and sec LC circuits. These two circuits must be in tune and
give equal frequencies. The program shows 8.9 sec inductance and 25.93 pf
sec capacitance.   What does the WinTesla program show?

    With the 22 inch sphere the frequency should be about 274 KHZ. You
indicate a capacity of 30 pf, however, the capacity will depend on the
proximity to the coil, etc which lowers the sphere capacity and increases
the frequency.  The test frequency could be higher than 274.

   Changing the toroid or coil to something larger may increase the spark
length up to the maximum capability of the power source. Note that optimum
parameters for spark length vs power, frequency, Q factor, K factor etc,etc.
are now found by trial and error. Computer programs eliminate some of the
guesswork. Improvements will depend on how well coilers test their  programs
in the future to get new accurate data. There are few coilers who do much
testing that produces tabular data and graphs upon which to base design
decisions.

   Many people on the T. List misinterpreted my reference to increasing the
frequency as increasing the spark length. I was thinking of sine waves and
energy. Normally we think of the frequency reducing to DC. However, if you
have an oscilloscope and sine wave generator it becomes obvious that  as you
lower the  frequency  the amplitude of the sine wave  takes longer to rise
and  would eventually approach zero and zero energy at an infinitely low
frequency. Increasing the frequency would represent an increase in energy.
Reducing the frequency of a sine wave does not go eventually into DC but to
zero amplitude and energy.

   John Couture