[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Square Wire

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 03, 1997 5:44 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Square Wire

Hi Jeff,

I use an inductance meter hooked across the secondary to measure L.
For a single-layer solenoid use WHeeler's formula to calculate it
(John Couture included it in one of his recent posts).
For Csec, measure F then plug L and F into the standard
equation to dig C out or you can calculate it using Medhurst's
formula Csec = HD where D = diameter in cm and H....

for h/d = 2, H = 0.51
for h/d = 5, H = 0.81

The relationship becomes a bit non-linear above this h/d but gives a
good indication nontheless.

    It is beginning to sound like a shorted turn or two to me as well.
It can't be excessive capacitive loading or a hi-Z signal generator:
either or both of these cause F to drop beyond the correct value.

Malcolm