[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit (Q)

Subject:       Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit
       Date:   Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:29:46 +1200
       From:   "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi all,
        A comment on Fr McGahee's post:

> While it is generally true that the primary is more than one turn of
> wire,
> as the secondary becomes LARGER in DIAMETER, it is often advantageous to
> use larger capacitors and fewer turns in the primary.

I usually run at lower frequencies and keep primary Q up by keeping
Lp large. I hear things like "lower frequency implies lower Q" a lot.
That no doubt comes from observing that Q = X/R. Let's have a closer
look at that:
                  Q = (2 x PI x f x L)/R

and we know that f = 1/(2 x PI x SQRT(L x C))

     Let's halve f in three ways, first by making C four times larger.
That leaves L unaffected which indeed causes Q to dive in half since
f has halved.
     Now lets achieve the same thing by doubling L and doubling C. Q
is now the same (as it should be because the L/C ratio is preserved.
     Finally, let's quadruple L. Despite f having halved, Q is
actually doubled.

     With reference to the primary, we know that "R" is a non-linear
resistance. In fact I maintain it goes down as gap current goes up.
If the voltage across the gap when it is conducting is reasonably
constant, then gap losses double as the current is doubled. Despite
gap resistance doubling as current is halved, it loses less power
because it roughly follows a VxI dissipation law.

Malcolm