[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using skin effect

Subject:  Re: Using skin effect
  Date:   Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:25:26 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:17:56 +0500 Jeremy Bair
<pwac-at-flinet-dot-com> wrote;

> > At the frequencies we are using most of the current flowing through
> > the primary windings should be in the outer most layer of the
> > conductors (skin effect). Has anyone compared the performance of a
> > copper tubing primary to a silver plated copper tubing primary. It
> > would require a heavy silver plating to insure that all conduction
> > was going through the silver and not the copper. In theory if all of
> > our primary currents are traveling only through the outer few mills
> > of the conductors we may be able to use silver plated plastic tubing
> > (maybe garden hose for really large coils) for inexpensive primaries
> > that may very well yield better efficiency's than copper tubing and
> > be a heck of a lot easier to work as well! BTW does anyone know of
> > any equation to calculate the depth of conduction for a given
> > frequency, I vaguely remember seeing a formula for calculating the
> > depth of skin effect for a given frequency. This would expedite the
> > determination of what thickness the plating should be.
> >
> >                                Sincerely
> >
> >                            Alfred A. Skrocki
> >                    alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
>
> Interesting... How would other materials compare? For example, I have a
> whole Utility room FULL of Bronze plating kits. And how flexable would
> this coat be?

Other materials would change the resistance of the coating. I don't
think they would be flexable at all, my personal experience with
plated copper, silver, nickel and chromium is they don't tolerate any
bending at all! Perhaps if the plating were consolidated like by
putting it in a tumbler with some steel shot may make it more
tolerant to bending. I always thought it would be soo much nicer to
warm some plexiglass rod and bend it into a nice spiral and then
spray it with Aquadag and plate with silver! Sure would beat bending
work hardened copper tubing! Should be cheaper too!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/