[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Copper Tubing

Subject:  Re: Copper Tubing
  Date:   Sat, 26 Apr 1997 18:13:43 -0500
  From:  "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> "I do not know what the crit. heat is for copper, but the controlled
> cooling is just as important as reaching that temp for ideal annealing."
>         Not so in my experience.  Quenching works just as well as slow
> cooling, and has the advantage of flaking off the scale.
> Ed

All,

I agree with Ed.  I heat the copper to dull red with a 200,000 BTU
'Tiger Torch' (propane/air) and then pour a bucket of cold water on
it.  Spshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The copper comes steam blasted clean, is immediately annealled soft,
and ready for use/abuse.  The spshhhhhhhh noise is neat as well!

Some enterprising stooge will eventually digitally record this
specific sound, copyright it, and digitally master it for release on
a CD ROM.  This will then give all you computer coilers a chance to hear
the sound of real copper being worked and add that to your
sense-surround interactive Tesla coil design programs.

"Gee, I can make 6 inch streamers with my computer sim, but when I
push the X10 button, I can then get 60 inch streamers.  How come there's
no
ozone?"

Go heat your computer in the oven and dunk it in water.  Then go and
obtain a neon transformer and some other REAL HARDWARE and  build a
Tesla Coil with your hands!

I hope someone out there knows what I mean,

Wow, I'd like to be more help, but gee, this is a long distance call
from coiling
heaven,
rwstephens