[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best Primary Coil

Subject:     Re: Best Primary Coil
      Date:  Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:32:16 -0700
      From:  Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  RE: Best Primary Coil
>   Date:   Wed, 23 Apr 97 06:27:44 UT
>   From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
>     To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> that's an amazing set of tests and very interesting results - but it
> brings to
> mind another primary configuration that I think would potentially act
> like
> your 15 deg coil but without the slant - it seems from your notes that
> the
> secondary likes to have the outer turns of the primary closer to it
> rather
> than farther away (at least that's the conclusion I draw from the
> experiments
> with spacing).  two possible configurations of fairly flat coils could
> do
> this.  You describe a 16 turn primary, so what do you think would happen
> with
> the following 2 configurations??
>
> 1. a two layer X8 turn flat pancake coil - start at the outside, spiral
> in for
> 8 turns, then raise up an inch and spiral back out another 8 turns.

This is an interesting idea I have not thought of.  I did try 2
primaries one
on top of the other.  One was flat wound and the other one on top was 30
degree.  I used 2 seperate power supplies for each primary.  One was 12K
30
ma and the other was 15K 30 ma.  It worked but it makes more sence to me
use just one primary coil and one power supply.  You idea is
interesting.
Connect both primaries in series and it will work and it should couple
much
better than a single layer flat primary.  It will probably act a little
like
a vertical wound primary.  I experemented with vertical wound primaries
also
and gave them up.  They over couple very easy and have a critical
diameter.
Vertical primary coils have a very small operation window and if
anything in
the circuit is changed much the TC drastically over couples or under
couples.