[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Copper tubing bending

Subject:  Re: Copper tubing bending
  Date:   Sat, 19 Apr 1997 18:25:39 +0300 (EET DST)
  From:   Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> > Brendan Haley writes:
> > "Also if anyone has found good ways to manipulate the
> > copper tubing without destroying it,  I would love to hear it."
> dickens getting the sand back out! Now I use a neat tool I bought at
> a yard sale, I don't know what it's called but it's a steel spring
> about a foot long with one end flared. You slide it over the tubing
> and bend the section in the spring then slide the spring forward and
> continue bending and sliding until your done.

That's a standard tool used by plumbers (water fitters). It'll cost
about 5 usd here for 12mm dia copper tube. The larger ones are
slightly more expensive. Any (well-equipped) hardware-store will
have these.

btw: instead of filling the tube with sand - how about a LIQUID? First
you weld the other end shut (the inner end in final coil - if spiral)
and
then connect a cheap valve to the other end. Now, you fill the tube with
water and close the valve.. Should work fine.

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the
law |
| kukkonen-at-alpha.hut.fi  |_____  Chance favours the prepared mind
|-------
| http://www.hut.fi/~kukkonen |  Fear is the mind-killer  |---------