[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2 toroids

Subject:  2 toroids
  Date:   Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:38:20 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I was doing some experimenting last night with my small 3" coil.  I have
been
running one 12 kv 30 ma transformer and wanted to add another one in
parallel.  Since the secondary is not very long, I was concerned about
getting strikes down into the primary - and have been too busy to build
strike rail as of yet.  I mounted the smaller of two toroids (10") on
the
coil and then set an aluminum cylindner 6.4" dia x 6" high on top of it
then
placed the 12" toroid on top.

The thought here was to get all the discharges to leave from the upper
toroid
and thus stay away from the primary.  I have this problem in spades with
my
larger 6" coil.  I contunually get white hot, thick bolts hitting the
strike
rail on this coil at 5kva and higher.  So, I thought I could apply what
learned here to the larger coil.

When I fired the coil when set up as described above, most of the
discharges
left from the lower (smaller toroid) and tended to go mostly down.  This
was
a surprise.  Then I reversed the two toroids so the larger was on the
bottom
and smaller on top.  It worked now just as I had planned but required
the
larger toroid on the bottom.  I thought the theory was to have just
enough
lower toroid close to the coil to prevent corona and then go as large as
possible on top.  This seems not to be the case.  Can anyone explain
this?

Ed Sonderman