[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coil problem

Subject:        Re: coil problem
       Date:    Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:22:00 -0700
       From:    Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
         To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>   From:   Calle Laakkonen <laakkone-at-icenet.fi>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> Hello all !
> I have a BIG problem with my coil.
> It won't fire !!
> I can get a continous spark from spark gaps but no
> sparks from the toroid.
> here is my coil setup:
> 40 inches tall and 4,4 inches wide secondary wound with 28AWQ wire.
> 16 turn primary (cause of the prizes of copper pipe I had
> to use heavy ground wire)
> two 4 kv neontransformes
>
>         -Calle & Risto

Calle,

We'll need some more information in order to pinpoint the problem:

Tank capacitance/type?

What type gap?

Size of toroid?

Current rating of the neons?

How are the transformer, tank cap, gap(s), and primary coil hooked up?

Base of secondary connected to a good ground?

The coil length sounds long (versus the diameter), and the wire gauge is
on the small side - you'll have about 2800 turns. Most coilers run with
400 - 1000 turns, using larger diameter wire. A shorter coil length for
a 4.4" diameter coil (20-30") is also recommended...

-- Bert --