[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cap materials

Subject:  Cap materials
  Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:18:52 -0400
  From:   104521.363-at-compuserve-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I'm about to start building some rolled poly caps, and have a question
about sourcing materials.  .09" thick polyethelene is not commonly
available, but .006" thick is.  Is it reasonable to use 16 layers of
this
thin stuff, or would this many layers be totally unwieldy?

I don't have access to a vacuum pump to pump the cap down to remove air
bubbles.  Would the multi thin layers pose a greater problem in
harboring
air bubbles?

Also, for the mineral oil, what kind of place does one go to for this?
Auto supply store?

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA

<

Gary,
You can use multiple layers, but don't try to roll 'em.  They slide all
over each other and you end up with a real mess.  If you have a web
browser, check out

http://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/hickman/cap1.jpg

through

http://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/hickman/cap4.jpg

for a fine example of just how to stack multiple sheets vertically in a
flat plate cap.

Mineral oil: got mine at an oil supply depot (oils, greases, tars,
absorbants...).  5 gallon pail was about $22.

Kyle
(Usual disclaimer)