Subject:  Phasing
  Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:26:30 -0500
  From:   RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I just found out something new about neon transformers, and I had to
learn it the hard way. After tearing down a rebuilt 15Kv neon
transformer because of arcing between the primary, and the core, I tried
to find a better method of insulating it. I tried poly spacers and
mineral oil to correct the problem. But when I applied power I got very
low output. So naturally I thougt it was the way that I was insulating
the transformer that was the problem. So I had one transformer that I
had not put in oil, but had the poly spacers between the secondaries.
Still the transformer barely lit the neon tube. So of course I took the
spacers out and still no joy!! Now one of these transformers had worked
the first time I tried it,so I knew it was good. Now I was really
stumped and began to sweat buckets! So I told myself settle down and
really take a look at this thing. Each secondary has a bare patch that
is covered with transparent plastic on the opposite side from the output
wire on the outside covering. When I put the secondaries back on the
cores of each transformer both of these patches were on top. When I
examined the other transformers I also had put the secondaries on their
cores with both of the patches either on the top, or both on the bottom!
So I decided to switch one of the secodaries and bang! It lit the neon
like a xmas tree! After flipping one of the secondaries on each of the
transformers they all started to work. I guess if I had worked in on the
assembly line where these suckers are put together I would have known

                                   Frankensteins Helper