[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: H/D ratios & turns

  Date:
        Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:43:25 -0400 (EDT)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
snip

>I have a question I hope someone can answer.
>
>Why do Greg and Skip's coils run so well when the seem to be way outside
>the envelope of recommended H/D ratios? Same thing goes for the # of
>turns, in both the pri and sec.
>Skip's is at one extreem and Greg's at another
>--
>Kevin M. Conkey

Kevin,

It just shows ta' go ya!

 There are many ways to set up shop in the world of coilin' as long as
the
shop is well kept.  All in each of these coils demonstrate synergistic
construction and design.  In short, there are no rules out side of what
works.  What works for one, may come to naught in the hands of another.
Successful coilers slowly acquire a bag of tricks that works
consistently
for them and tend to vary little from that set formula.

All good coilers are curious at least, and thoughtful researchers at
best.
They sometimes try out new ideas.  Often, these ideas are good ones in
that
they improve on the developed theme of the successful buildier.  Other
times
their efforts and ideas fail.  This may or may not mean the idea is a
bad
one.  It means it just won't work in the particular formulation the
builder
is accustomed to achieving success with.  In another schema, the failed
idea
might work famously.

This list strives to scientifically investigate coil building, but
consistently shows opposite themes to be fantastic.  Accept this seeming
paradox and you are moving up and on in the world of coil building.  If
you
ever believe deep inside that there is just one set of secrets and
codified
formulations you are lost.

Take that which appeals to you and see if you can make it work.  If it
fails
try another tack.  Once sucessful, you should mofdify the method to make
the
final embodiment have your personal stamp on it by some new or novel
innovation.   All who are in your camp might then check it out and
either
accept or further modify the result.

The true joy of coiling is the varigation found in it and the confoundng
nature of the beast!

Richard Hull, TCBOR